Ryan D. Showalter’s diverse legal practice encompasses many facets of real estate, litigation and business law, including real estate transactions, construction, zoning, permitting and entitlements as well as environmental, agricultural and natural resources laws. Ryan represents a broad array of clients, including individuals, developers, municipal governments, health care institutions, utilities and renewable energy producers, and Fortune 500 companies. Many of Ryan’s business clients have an emphasis on utility infrastructure or the construction or agricultural industries. He regularly counsels clients with respect to the sale or donation of conservation easements.
Ryan has substantial land use and zoning experience founded upon an undergraduate degree in environmental planning. His practice encompasses the complete range of land use and real estate development issues, including annexation, zoning matters, subdivision and development plan approval, real estate sales, acquisitions and financing, construction, and Critical Areas, wetland, environmental, and cultural resource permitting. If necessary, Ryan litigates cases related to these areas.
Ryan routinely interacts with design and engineering professionals, local, state and federal regulatory agencies, administrative and legislative bodies, and courts. His practice currently includes development approvals and litigation related to development projects ranging from zoning matters for homeowners to utility-scale renewable energy, healthcare and complex commercial retail, golf, and master planned mixed-use communities.
Prior to founding McAllister, DeTar, Showalter & Walker (MDSW), Ryan practiced with Miles & Stockbridge P.C. for 14 years, six of which as a partner. Ryan lives with his family in Easton, Maryland. He enjoys traveling, boating, fishing, hunting and keeping bees in his spare time.
- Maryland, 2001
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- United States Federal District Court for the District of Maryland
- American Bar Association: Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, 2001-present
- Maryland State Bar Association, 2001-present
- Talbot County Bar Association, 2001-present
- Talbot County Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2012-2018; Chairman, 2015
- What’s Up? Eastern Shore Leading Lawyer (2022-2023): Selected for inclusion in the areas of: Construction Law, Environmental Law, HOA/Condominium Law, Environmental Law, Real Estate Law
- What’s Up? Eastern Shore Leading Lawyer (2018-2019): Selected for inclusion in the areas of: Construction Law, Real Estate Law, Zoning, Planning & Land Use
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV Preeminent” Peer Review Rated, 2015 – Present
- What’s Up Eastern Shore® – Eastern Shore Leading Lawyers – Selected for inclusion in the areas of Construction Law, Real Estate Law and Zoning, Planning & Land Use, 2016, 2018.
- Co-Panelist, “Going Solar: The Roles of the Local and State Governments Post-Board of County Commissioners of Washington County v. Perennial Solar, LLC”, Univ. of Maryland Agriculture Law Education Initiative, Environmental and Agricultural Law Conference, Nov. 2019